Watercolor is the medium
of choice for southwest artist Dan Stouffer from Albuquerque, NM.
Please visit the rest of Dan's gallery as well as Artists of the Southwest's other
outstanding work by southwestern artists. Thanks.
About the Artist
Born in Ohio and educated at the Ohio State University, Stouffer's early professional career was in book design
and production management. His first years in NM were spent at the University of New Mexico Press.
During that time, lured by the mystique and beauty of the land, he began painting. He eventually turned
his part-time painting into successes in local and regional art events, and in 1979, he left the Press
and became a full-time artist.
Since that time, Stouffer has built an impressive list of credentials. His work has been shown in several museums
and is in corporate collections throughout the country. He has won 60 national and regional awards along
the way, some in such prominent competitions as Watercolor U.S.A., Rocky Mountain National and Arts for the
In addition to exhibiting in most of the top art events in the Southwest, Stouffer has been a board member and juror
for several shows. He is currently a member of Rocky Mountain National Watermedia Society and Watercolor
USA Honor Society, and is listed in Who's Who in American Art and Who's Who in the West.
His work has also been featured in various newspapers and magazine articles, including Watercolor Quarterly,
Southwest Art, and Watercolor Magic.
Dan Stouffer currently resides in Bosque Farms, NM, with his wife Jean and their canine buddies,
Julie and Angel P. Stouffer.
Education and Professional Background
B.F.A. Ohio State University. Began exhibiting at professional level in 1974, became full-time artist in 1979.
Affiliations have included: NM Art League; NM Watercolor Society; Board Member, NM
Arts & Crafts Fair; Board Member/Juror, Southwest Arts & Crafts Festival; Board Member, Weems Artfest.
Signature Member, Rocky Mountain Watermedia Society and Watercolor USA Honor Society. Currently listed in
Who's Who in American Art and Who's Who in the West. Featured, Summer 1997 edition of Watercolor Magazine,
published by American Artist, February 2003 edition of Southwest Art, and December 2004 edition of Watercolor
Exhibitions — National Park Service
- Arts for the Parks — 1992, 1993, 1994*, 1996*, 1999, 2000*, 2002*, 2003*, 2004*, 2005* (*Top 100)
- Carlsbad Caverns National Park, Visitor's Center
- Grand Canyon National Park, Visitor's Center
- Guadalupe Mountains National Park, Visitor's Center
- White Sands National Monument, Visitor's Center
- Chamizal National Memorial, Traveling Show featuring the Chihuahuan Desert Parks
- 1989 — First Place, Watercolor, National Small Painting Show
- 1991 — Award of Merit, Lubbock Arts Festival
- 1995 — Grumbacher Gold Medallion Award, New Mexico State Fair Exhibit
- 1997 — Award of Merit, Rocky Mountain National
- 1998 — Patron Purchase Award, Watercolor U.S.A.
- 2000 — Purchase Award, Watercolor U.S.A.
- 2003 — Bronze medal (landscape), Arts for the Parks
- 2004 — Strathmore Award, Watercolor USA
- 2004 — Region II Award, Arts for the Parks
- 2005 — Region II Award, Arts for the Parks Mini–100
- 2006 — Region II Award, Arts for the Parks Mini–100
- 2009 — Region II Award, Paint the Parks
Selected Purchases and Collections
Public Service Co. of New Mexico; Citizen's Bank of Las Cruces; Sandia Federal Savings & Loan, Albuquerque; Amoco Oil Co., Houstan; Federal Reserve Bank, Denver; Plains National Bank, Lubbock, TX; White Sands National Monument; Guadalupe Mountain National Park; Private collections – Her Royal Highness, Queen Noor of Jordan; Lauren Bacall
Glenn Cutter Gallery
2640 El Paseo Road
Las Cruces, New Mexico 88001
Max'ims of Greeley
818 9th St Plaza
Greeley, Colorado 80631
7200 Montgomery Blvd., NE, Suite D
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87109
Visit Dan's web site at www.danstouffer.com.